September 26, 2009

The Most Perfect Day


If someone asked you what the best day of your life was, what would you say? Up until this point I don't know that I would have an answer, but yesterday supplied me with one 24 hour period that I can truly say was the best day of my life.At 7:30 in the morning, nine college students left the convent and took a bus to the train station. None of us had traveled in Italy before, and none of us knew how to buy train tickets....and we
quickly learned that no one knew how to read them either...so we missed our train

After hopping on another, we reached our destination and all was well when we arrived in Sperlonga, until we looked around and couldn't find the beach! Chris went and questioned a taxi driver who informed us of just exactly how far away from the beach we were: 17 Kilometers

Just as we were wondering what to do, a bus drove up with "Sperlonga" displayed on the
front...soooo we got in.

There was a jolt of excitement that went through the group when
we finally saw the ocean ahead of us. Running onto that beach and letting the warm waves of the Mediterranean was immediately calming.

For the rest of the day we did a whole lot of nothing...swimming, walking on the beach, and collecting sea shells. After a long, active week, it was wonderful to sit on the beach and just take in the beauty around me.

In the afternoon the whole group came together and this video will give you an idea of what we did:


It was also Erik's first time to the sea, so we had to give him a memorable experience:












For dinner we decided to have a picnic on the beach so a few of us
girls found a local grocery store. The
owner, a little old Italian man, spoke no English, but was so pleased to serve us. After quite a while we left with fresh bread, tomatoes, ham, and fresh mosarella. As we were leaving, the man gave us a gift of fresh basil to go with our meal.

Blankets spread out on the beach, we said a prayed and began our meal. We all were talking and laughing while eating some of the best food I've ever tasted.

The sun was setting in the distance. Friends were all around me. And I was at the Mediterranean sea.

The day ended with two of my friends and I
standing the the sea, holding hands and thanking our amazing God for the wonders he has given us.

This truly was the most wonderful day of my life. It was one of those rare experiences where everything is just as it should be. Even when you find out the bus stops running at eight - you learn something new, like you really can fit 10 people in a taxi!

These are the experiences I can for, and I praise God everyday that I am fortunate enough to be here.

1 comment:

  1. Hey dear! I agree...it does sound like the best day ever. Maybe I should come visit...

    :) I found tickets for $745 round trip.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete