September 21, 2009

My First Weekend in Rome

For those of you who faithfully check my blog, I must beg your forgiveness. I have not been updating as much as I would like to due to the craziness of this past week. However - I am going to do my best to post updates every day or two for you reading pleasure ;)

So, this last weekend was my first in Rome and it was absolutely AMAZING!

First of all, my weekend started on Friday (hurray for three day weekends!) and I was able to do some homework and then that night went out with some friends for a wonderful dinner at a local pizzeria. The owner, who sported some very black eyebrows that contrasted with his very white hair, spoke to us completely in Italian. In response, we attempted to express our immense approval of the meal.

Then topped it off with some amazing gelato. Strawberry and melon are my new favorite flavors.

Saturday was going to be a homework day....yeah that doesn't work out so well when you're in Rome. I frittered the day away and went exploring in the afternoon. Lisa and I found the Piazza Navona - oh was it beautiful. Musician playing, beautiful architecture, artists displaying their works...this was Italy!

Then, Saturday night was probably one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I went with one of the girls in my group to meet her Italian relatives. She's never met them before, so it was an exciting experience for all! We met up with her two cousins (one of which is an Italian rock star) their wives and friends and sat down to eat a meal together.

But this was no ordinary meal. The first course entailed a large basket of various sausages and about 15 other appetizer dishes that were passed around the table. Cheeses and zucchini, and eggplant, and sausage....mmmmm was it good. The second course was pasta with sausage and spinaches raviole. We topped off the meal with a final course of two meats: "Lamb and very young pork"

It was amazing to talk with them and hear stories about their travels and their everyday lives. They were extremely hospitable, and I have the feeling that we will be seeing more of each other.

Sunday I visited an international church and it was so amazing to see people of every color, age, and background coming together to worship the Lord. Definitely a moving experience.

God has really been faithful to me...this last week was a struggle just adjusting to this new lifestyle and figuring out what God has planned for me. I am determined not to settle for mediocrity this semester. I know that I am here for a reason, and that He is going to make this the most amazing three months of my life.

How exciting is that?!!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah!! It is so cool to read of your experiences in Rome. Sounds like you are having the time of your life :-) I will keep reading! Love ya girl- April

    ReplyDelete