July 27, 2009

Thank You for the Pain

I think that we grow the most through pain. When your world is completely shaken and everything seems to be broken, you can either morn over the shattered pieces, or see it as a clean foundation for something new. Everyone has experienced heartbreak in some form, so I know I'm not the first and I won't be the last, but I through it all I've grown and learned things that I never would have otherwise.

At the beginning of the summer I felt as though every area in my life was crumbling. I felt helpless and lost, but through this I saw areas in myself where I wanted (and needed) to grow. I made a promise to myself that when I went back to school in the fall I would not be the same person that I was before. I set goals and gave everything over to the Lord so that he could work in me.

My main goal for the summer was to grow in my relationship with the Lord. During the school year I had slipped, and really desired to get back in tune with Him. Beside this, my goals were not major or life changing, but simple things that I put on paper and accomplish.

Here are a few of them:
  • Plan a bonfire (Check! Though it rained and we never had a campfire, I had friends over in anticipation of one)
  • Work Out Regularly (Of course 'regularly' is a relative term)
  • Get Involved in Ministry (I've been a leader in the youth group and have had an opportunity to really bond with some of the girls. Plus, I just got back from an incredible mission trip)
  • Read a Book or Two (Finished "Angels and Demons" and am now skimming another novel)
  • Scrapbook Sophomore Year (This is coming along nicely)
  • Either to See One Friend a Week OR Do Something Special For One Person (Its been wonderful)
Now August and the end of summer is staring me in the face and I realize, I am a different person, but not in the way I thought I would be. When I was bitter and angry and hurt I looked at changing external appearances and actions. But when you give that up, something much better happens inside.

Sure I got a great haircut and a couple cute outfits, but I fell like the Lord has given me an entirely new outlook on life. Through ministry I have learned what it feels like to be selfless and give everything for Him. I have placed new value in who I am and what He has created me to be. And I can't wait to see what is in store for the years ahead.

There is a new Sarah bursting onto the scene who is confident, spontaneous, independent, and full of life. She is ready to dive full force into the future. To take risks and live vivaciously. There is so much that the world has to offer, and so much I have to offer the world. As I stand here looking forward there are so many opportunities and I am quivering with the anticipation of finding out where I belong.

Sure there are bad days, but I am thankful for them. I still battle bitterness and the wounds haven't completely healed - but today is a good day, and I will rejoice in it.











4 comments:

  1. I'm SO proud of you. And your blog always brings back a little optimism into my sometime pessimistic attitude :) You are without a doubt the best roommate EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks dear :) I'm glad some of my optimism rubs off. YOU are the best roommate ever! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that we learn the most through our painful experiences. I am in a season of discipline, humility and growth through painful experiences that I have come out of. I am learning to process them and allow the Lord to heal the wounds. But I think that our wise friend James said it well to, "count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience." Paul also wisely declares that, "we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope." The scriptures are the best way to bring healing in these times, because we read them and are so very much convicted and chastened by the Lord. But we must allow God to take us through these various trials so that we will have deeper faith in Him and growth in His wisdom and knowledge. He is so good and faithful. Love you dear Sarah! -April

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those scriptures are *James 1:2-3 and Romans 5:3-4 :-)

    ReplyDelete