July 15, 2009

An Expected Surprise


Picture this: a young woman walking purposefully towards the train station. She tosses her fair into the machine as if she’s done it a million times before. Confidently she crosses the tracks and board the inbound platform, claiming a bench as she patiently waits for the train’s arrival.


......Okay, so maybe it wasn’t exactly like that. Maybe she was running and her hands shook while she straightened out her rumpled dollar bills. Maybe she arrived at the station four with four minutes to spare, praying that she would get on the right train. Yeah, that was me. Once I was seated, the conductor announced that this was “42S” and what a moment of triumph that was!


Then I had one of those ‘grow-up’ moments. You know, when it suddenly hits you that you’re an adult.


I settled into the seat, catching my reflection in the window – it was a good hair day. Pulling out my iPod and a current magazine article, I felt every inch the city girl. Taylor Swift, Coldplay, and Kris Allen tumbled into my ears I glanced around the car. It probably would have made a better story if there were a bunch of unsavory characters on board, but no – just two old ladies and a guy speaking Japanese into his cell phone. Seriously, I’m sure whoever your talking to is not deaf. At least not yet.


After a brief moment of unnecessary panic, I managed to get off at the right station and made my way onto the streets of Pittsburgh. I be-bopped my way for a few city blocks – this time looking every inch the confident young woman. And met my hot date at a classy bar/restaurant that serves tomato basil soup that’s to die for.


Okay, say maybe my hot date was my aunt, but everything else is true.


We played tourist by snapping tons of pictures and then went to see an incredible performance of Le Miserables.


Isn't it funny how growing up just kind of sneaks up on you. A year ago, there is not a chance I would have made that trip. Its amazing how much can happen in 12 months - a mere 356 days. In some ways, when you realize you're a grown-up it’s a surprise, but in others its something that's just a natural instinct. Like breathing, it is just comes naturally.


3 comments:

  1. YOU WENT TO LES MIS!?!?!?! I AM UNBELIEVABLELY JEALOUS...THAT'S LIKE MY FAVORITE MUSICAL OF ALL TIME!

    Hi dear. Sorry I dropped off the face of the world this week. Can you talk tonight? I haven't been on fb in a while, so hopefully I haven't missed anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this. :)

    this experience sounds like perfect preparation for rome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This totally put a smile on my face . . . because I remember that timid, shy young girl who would ride the roller coaster with me at Kennywood and now you are riding that roller coaster of life (blah, the glue is turning my comments to cheesy dribble. I'm so sorry about that.) Oh, and I could totally picture all of that happening. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete