August 3, 2009

Optimistic Monday: National Watermelon Day

So, as I try to narrow down what exactly this blog is going to be about, I decided to start something new – Optimistic Monday. Each Monday I’m going to blog about something that makes me happy. A book, an experience…Or just share some tidbits of inspiration for the world. Maybe a little corny, but I thought it was a good idea, and you know, this is my blog :)

SO, I know this Monday post is a little late but - drum roll please

**insert drum roll sound effect here**

The 1st Optimistic Monday Post:

National Watermelon Day!

I don’t even know how I stumbled across this, but I wish I had done so sooner - Today, National Watermelon Day! Every year on August 3rd the nation celebrated watermelon and the joy it brings. I’m a huge fan of watermelon and it always brings back such happy memories of summer.

Seed spitting contests (which inevitably turned seed spitting fights) and eating watermelon for dinner on those days when it was too hot to cook. Ah….Oh sorry, I got lost in my thoughts there…back to NWD, as I am going to call it.

To celebrate I took a watermelon quiz from Watermelon.org and got a grand total score of 5 out of 12. Okay, so maybe I wouldn’t be the next “Are you Smarter Than a 5th Grader” Champion, but I still love the fruit.

To redeem myself from that embarrassment here is a fabulous recipe for a frozen Watermelon treat:

Watermelon A la mode

Ingredients:
- Vanilla Ice cream
- Pink sherbet (any flavor you like)
- Green Sherbet (again any flavor)
- Mini Chocolate Chips

Leave your frozen ingredients out to soften little bit.

Get a large to medium sized metal bowl. Once its soft enough take your green sherbet and spread it around the inside of the bowl. In other words, there should be a layer of sherbet around the inside of the bowl

Freeze until hard

Spread a thin layer of vanilla ice cream on top of your green sherbet.

Freeze until hard

While your bowl of goodness is freezing, mix your soft pink sherbet in a bowl with the mini chocolate chips. Then fill up the remainder of the bowl with your mixture.

Once again, freeze until hard. After this you should be able to turn your bowl up-side-down and your “watermelon” will pop out. Slice like you would a normal watermelon and serve immediately.

Enjoy!

Okay – one more thing to celebrate! I wanted to post picture on myself chowing down in honor of NWD, but this was way cuter:

Have a wonderful watermelon day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment